Seldom and Never

The random ruminations of a father of two, who rarely has time to post. (I'm trying, okay, and don't quote Sean Connery to me).

Matt, go mow the grass! Then, you can take out the garbage... this message sponsored by the CMSC Better Living committee

Monday, January 24, 2005

India

I'm sure most of you have heard of the current trend in white collar jobs: elimination. What started decades ago with manufacturing jobs, and later progressed into IT jobs, has now shown up in BPO jobs (call centers, AR, AP, HR, even accounting). My employer has always been 2 steps behind good ol' GE. If Jack does it, my employer will soon. They are now starting to send jobs from their shared service center in the US to a consolidated entity in India. This is how they justify sending some extremely important functions (i.e. accounting) in a Sarbanes-Oxley environment. It's still in the family.

So, I'm fleeing the shared service sector. Will I have to move? We'll see.