Saturday Night
We had a 9 person poker tournament last night... wait. Let me set this up right.
I play poker (Texas Hold 'em) with some friends on Thursday nights. The games have between 5 and 10 players most nights. I missed this week's game so that Carmen could go play Bunko (sp?) with some of her friends. I figured it was only fair, since she's moving away from her friends soon. Anyway, Saturday morning I call a friend to apologize for not giving him guidance on his recent notebook purchase (he called, and I forgot to call him back). Work's crazy, but there's no excuse for letting someone down that expects your help. During our conversation, he mentions that one of the guys we play with on Thursday night is having a party for his wife. She finally completed her chemo for breast cancer, and they wanted to celebrate. I don't know him very well (we've played cards 8 or 10 times). He also mentioned that this gent wanted to play some cards after his wife's friends left. That sealed the deal, and I went.
We arrive at "Jim"'s house around 7 o'clock to find severely limited parking. My friend (whom we shall call "Rob") neglected to tell me it was also a keg party. There were a lot of lit people.
One of our poker circle, "Randall" for lack of a better name, is an excellent musician and singer. He decided to perform for the group. Unfortunately, everyone had a few beers and asked him to play some of the songs he knew from our college days. He started out with a ditty called "penis extender". You can imagine that this went over with mixed reviews. Unfortunately, the vocal reviews were from the drunks who loved it.
Now things go a bit uncomfortable. Two drunk patrons (let's call them Andy and Ronnie) called out for the tittie song. Being drunk, nobody remembered that the reason for the party was to celebrate the survival of a woman who had breast cancer, a mastectomy, and chemo. As Randall was singing "I like... big tits, small tits, any tits will do", the faces in the room grew a bit troubled. I faded downstairs at this point to avoid the impending implosion.
I was standing in the garage when everyone came downstairs when Randall, Rob, Andy, and Ronnie come in saying "dude, you didn't know" and "Man, we made you play it". Randall was feeling about as upset as I've ever seen him. He realized his mistake over half-way through the song, and wanted to leave. Being the friends that we are, it soon turned to comments like "okay, actually, I'm just glad you're the one who did it not me" and "Wow, that was F***in' wrong."
Jim came down and broke the mood by rehashing a verse or two of the song. It really is a funny song when you are drunk. Randall went inside and apologized to Jim's wife, who said she found it funny. It was her friends who were offended for her. All ended well there.
The quick and who-cares wrap up:
Then we played cards. I knocked 7 people out. The only person left in was Jim. It was his house, it was 2 am, and everybody was tired. I was big stacking, but I cut a deal with him to split the pot and call it a night. He promptly split the winnings with me and gave his half to his wife. He's a good husband.
I play poker (Texas Hold 'em) with some friends on Thursday nights. The games have between 5 and 10 players most nights. I missed this week's game so that Carmen could go play Bunko (sp?) with some of her friends. I figured it was only fair, since she's moving away from her friends soon. Anyway, Saturday morning I call a friend to apologize for not giving him guidance on his recent notebook purchase (he called, and I forgot to call him back). Work's crazy, but there's no excuse for letting someone down that expects your help. During our conversation, he mentions that one of the guys we play with on Thursday night is having a party for his wife. She finally completed her chemo for breast cancer, and they wanted to celebrate. I don't know him very well (we've played cards 8 or 10 times). He also mentioned that this gent wanted to play some cards after his wife's friends left. That sealed the deal, and I went.
We arrive at "Jim"'s house around 7 o'clock to find severely limited parking. My friend (whom we shall call "Rob") neglected to tell me it was also a keg party. There were a lot of lit people.
One of our poker circle, "Randall" for lack of a better name, is an excellent musician and singer. He decided to perform for the group. Unfortunately, everyone had a few beers and asked him to play some of the songs he knew from our college days. He started out with a ditty called "penis extender". You can imagine that this went over with mixed reviews. Unfortunately, the vocal reviews were from the drunks who loved it.
Now things go a bit uncomfortable. Two drunk patrons (let's call them Andy and Ronnie) called out for the tittie song. Being drunk, nobody remembered that the reason for the party was to celebrate the survival of a woman who had breast cancer, a mastectomy, and chemo. As Randall was singing "I like... big tits, small tits, any tits will do", the faces in the room grew a bit troubled. I faded downstairs at this point to avoid the impending implosion.
I was standing in the garage when everyone came downstairs when Randall, Rob, Andy, and Ronnie come in saying "dude, you didn't know" and "Man, we made you play it". Randall was feeling about as upset as I've ever seen him. He realized his mistake over half-way through the song, and wanted to leave. Being the friends that we are, it soon turned to comments like "okay, actually, I'm just glad you're the one who did it not me" and "Wow, that was F***in' wrong."
Jim came down and broke the mood by rehashing a verse or two of the song. It really is a funny song when you are drunk. Randall went inside and apologized to Jim's wife, who said she found it funny. It was her friends who were offended for her. All ended well there.
The quick and who-cares wrap up:
Then we played cards. I knocked 7 people out. The only person left in was Jim. It was his house, it was 2 am, and everybody was tired. I was big stacking, but I cut a deal with him to split the pot and call it a night. He promptly split the winnings with me and gave his half to his wife. He's a good husband.

<< Home