The homeless issues a challenge!
Admittedly, I have quite a bit of time on my hands right now. My family is two states away, and my job is still coming into focus. As a project manager, this means that I have free time. During this free time, I have surfed the web and observed the general posting behavior of numerous chat rooms and their regulars. There are some striking similarities between such diverse forums such as Yahoo!’s Caterpillar board, Fazed.net’s forums and the FIRECOACHFULMER.com board.
It seems true that everybody has their own opinions. It also seems true that there are contrarians who will find or invent flaws in any statement (be it opinion or purported fact). There have been several pieces written on the types of internet posters who incite problems wherever they go (trolls, flamers, etc…), so I don’t feel it would serve anyone to rehash that here. Instead, I’d like to issue a challenge: Tell me what opinion or fact you believe could be posted on any message board without someone objecting.
It would be easy to post some innocuous statements that would fly on most message boards… but all? I don’t believe it can be done. The anonymity provided by the internet has allowed the lunatic fringe a voice for almost every insane opinion. I believe that no matter what you say, I can find someone who will refute it.
Any takers?
It seems true that everybody has their own opinions. It also seems true that there are contrarians who will find or invent flaws in any statement (be it opinion or purported fact). There have been several pieces written on the types of internet posters who incite problems wherever they go (trolls, flamers, etc…), so I don’t feel it would serve anyone to rehash that here. Instead, I’d like to issue a challenge: Tell me what opinion or fact you believe could be posted on any message board without someone objecting.
It would be easy to post some innocuous statements that would fly on most message boards… but all? I don’t believe it can be done. The anonymity provided by the internet has allowed the lunatic fringe a voice for almost every insane opinion. I believe that no matter what you say, I can find someone who will refute it.
Any takers?

<< Home